Sniper Rifles in Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds are the most-wanted weapons. They are quite rare and difficult to obtain (and some of them are available from supply drops) and they require a decent scope for full functionality. An experienced player, using this sort of equipment, is capable of wreaking havoc all around the map. The majority of sniper rifles in the game deal very high damage (while targeting the head, you can eliminate the enemy in one shot, unless he is wearing a tier 3 helmet) and it is effective over a very long distance, which makes it perfect for vast, open areas. However, with the exception of VSS, their rate of fire is very low, which makes them ineffective over short distance, or indoors.
In the game, there are 4 sniper rifles – Kar98, VSS, which can be found around the map, and M24 and AWM, which you can find only in supply crates. The below table presents information on all weapons in this group – damage dealt, clip size and ammo type, and available firing modes.
|Weapon||Damage||Clip size||Ammo type||Firing modes|
Note – the above damage refers to damage taken by the opponent hit in the chest, without an armor. Damage dealt differs, depending on the armor type and damaged body part – See the chapter entitled “How to minimize damage taken”, for more information.
There are several things to remember, while using this type of weaponry:
- Sniper rifles are perfect for both medium and long distances – high damage dealt and accuracy will allow you to eliminate the enemy with ease. At the same time, small clip and low rate of fire will not be that problematic.
- Weapons of this type are completely useless over short distance, in urbanized areas and indoors. Killing any opponent is nothing short of luck (unless he only has several HP points or you hit the head). In the majority of cases, you will only have one shot to kill the opponent. This is why it is better to switch to any other weapon, while fighting in such conditions – handgun, SMG or even a melee weapon are much better.
- These weapons become even more effective after you have attached a decent scope (x4, x8 or x15). You can conduct fire without a scope, but precise optics increase effectiveness. Silencers, on the other hand, are not that important here, because they doo not suppress the weapon as much as they do in the case of assault rifles or handguns and submachine guns.
- If you spot an enemy and you carry a sniper rifle, it is better to take a good aim before you fire. Hitting the enemy into the legs or torso is probably not going to kill him, but in the majority of cases, hitting the head is.
- While using sniper rifles, it is a good idea to obtain additionally a weapon for short and medium distance combat. Assault rifle or SMG are perfect here.